08
Dec
10

Hip Rock?

As I was reading McLeod’s article which talks about the creation of The Grey Album by Danger Mouse, I realized how the evolution of sampling has unfolded to so many different levels. Hip Hop is the birthplace of sampling, yet we are hearing it in different genres now, and in this case, a fusion of genres. Here, Danger Mouse takes two musical icons – The Beatles, and Jay-Z – Who represent two different styles of music, and with totally different backgrounds, yet who’s music can influence a broad range of audiences (even when combined). Personally, I had never heard of Danger Mouse, but as soon as I started to read the article I immediately went to YouTube and searched The Grey Album. I like it.

Although I was only allowed to access certain songs, as I went to listen to the 99 Problems fused with a sampling of the Beatles,  the music had been disabled on YouTube because “This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by all copyright holders.” Which goes hand-in-hand with what McLeod spoke about in his article. I completely agree with McLeod’s statement in the article where he claimed that Danger Mouse’s musical collage would have made millions, while having no impact on the artist’s individual sales. In the case of music, there are so many different musical styles that catch our ears’ attentions, but we will always have our preferences, and we would always support our favorite artists.

Mash-ups and musical fusions are commonly used nowadays, if you tune into prime time radio you will most likely hear a line up of these songs which make our heads bop as much if not more than the originals.